Not Sure If Egg Bound Or Injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by just a dozen, Nov 7, 2010.

1. just a dozen

just a dozen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    My 7 mth.old production hen can't walk right,she is "squatting"down and waddles and has to flap her wings to help her move.She let's me pick her up which is odd,(she's skittish)she doesn't try to escape.Her tail is down so it's hard to see her vent.When I pick her up she doesn't extend her legs and her feet are closed up.She's eating and drinking fine. Yesterday morning she was fine ,last night she was hiding under the ladder.I put her in nest box so others couldn't bother her.She made her way outside today, but hid behind logs.I'm going to cage her.I think my rooster might have roughed her up but not sure.Any ideas and thank you in advance.

2. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Quote:Sounds quite a bit like my hen. I thought the same thing but checked her a bit further and discovered an egg, half feels like a hard shell, half soft. Sadly, I don't think she will make it thru this.

3. just a dozen

just a dozen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    I checked her for a stuck egg.I didn't feel anything I probably went a little more than an inch in.I don't know how far you're supposed to go when you check.I did notice little scabs on her comb and wattles and feathers missing from top of her head.I didn't see any mites ,but not sure what they look like .Anyone any suggestions?

4. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    has she layed yet?
    if not shes getting close, if she has, has she been laying regularly??

5. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I inserted my index finger to the second joint. Further wasn't needed because that was where the egg was for my hen.

6. awkbawkbawkbawk

awkbawkbawkbawk New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    wow. this sounds exactly like what i am going thru with my margret. vet cleared her for illness. i have her on steroids. thought is that rooster roughed mine up. but mine is also not clucking. is yours eating? laying? clucking? mine worsened & i was up for 3 nights keeping an eye on her. she is presently inside house & being fed & kept hydrated. vet said 1/4 cup liquid a day. & strained pellet mix.

i checked for egg bound. nope. vet verified.

let me know how your does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by