Not sure if hen is bound.

hennotrooster

Songster
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
Hesperia CA
My mean girl was not moving much when I went out this afternoon. I picked her up and flipped her over to check her vent and she had what looked like yolk dripping out. To better check her I brought her in and gave her an epsom salt warm water soak. I feel nothing to indicate that she has a bound egg her abdomen is soft but she was not herself. I noticed she drank more today than usual but the day was a bit warmer than it has been in a while. She is eating well, pooping and drinking her water. She was just not moving when I went out and that is really not in her character I even gave her some scratch and she only ate what fell in front of her. Checked her feet to see if she had a thorn or something stuck in one of them but she was good.

I dried her with the blow dryer before taking her back out. She really seemed to enjoy the heat from the dryer, she closed her eyes and calmed. I put extra hay down for her where she sleeps before putting her in. She did come out and run around her yard a bit and drank more water before going back in. She is in her own area due to her aggressive behavior with the other hens, so it is easy to tell how much she is drinking/eating. She drank a little more than half a bottle of water, I fill her bowl in the morning with warm water from a regular size water bottle.

Any ideas?

This is what I found in the yard this morning. She gets oyster shell so I am not sure why she would have dropped such a soft shell and shaped so oddly. Im just glad she was able to drop this I think it is what had her stressed last night. She is herself now came running to see what was for breakfast.

Good news, sometimes things don't work perfectly "down there"
Just keep an eye on her over the next few days.
I have a girl that constantly lays a jelly egg, as long as it comes out, I'm not too worried, no risk for infection or any problems long term.
She gets oyster shell, and egg producer feed, which is higher in protein and calcium.
She's just a misfit.
And all her girlfriends get to have egg for breakfast as soon as it hits the ground.
Thanks for the update.

So this is called a jelly egg? I always get an education here. She is good I am going to let her out of her yard so she can run the property today, she likes to get in the garden and hunt for bugs, it is close to the house so I can keep an eye on her. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

There's actually another term, seeing the tail on the end of it.
I just call them jellies, because they are so strange if you find them before they get eaten.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom