Not sure if Hen is broody? HELP ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!!!😊

Pics

frasereve

Chirping
Mar 28, 2022
I have a 10 month old leghorn that suddenly went broody I think.. pic of hopefully soon to be mama below
She won’t leave the nest, is super puffed out but also flattened down if that makes sense? And I had fake eggs under her since yesterday. She stayed on them all day and night so I moved her today into her own enclosure with fertile eggs and she hasn’t left besides to eat n drink 2 times. But The thing is this hen normally hates me ( love hate relationship.. she knows I’m where food comes from) she isn’t making any noises or hisses like I’m told broody hens often make? She also isn’t very protective of them ( I don’t think she’s protective because I was able to take all the fake eggs and switch with real) without a single peck or protest? She kinda just sits there? Is she broody and understands im trying to help or could she just be in a mood and isn’t truest broody? Also this will be here first time hatching as well as mine with a broody? Any advice, tips, tricks I should be aware of?
1F36806F-F83C-439F-85B7-458AB638186B.jpeg

Attachments

• DBB454DE-CCC4-49C0-BA16-FC5A370A1868.jpeg
    DBB454DE-CCC4-49C0-BA16-FC5A370A1868.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 8
She is broody. I have 3 Cochin Bantam hens. One screams and pecks and clucks every time I look at her wrong when she is broody. One clucks and sometimes pecks. And the last is like yours. She lets out the occasional cluck, but for the most part does not protest.
I was told leghorn are very uncommon to go broody as well so I was so confused😂 is there anything I need to make sure I do besides food and water constantly, I currently put her on chick starter as of today as well for the extra nutrients. Should I keep her separated and when and how do I move them back? This is a first for both me and Foghorn ( the mama from above)

what FeatherFeetFarm said. She is broody, and broodies have different personalities, so take to it differently.

They are also variable in competence. She is young, and a lot of people don't let pullets (birds under 1 year old) brood, but others do. She may be a natural, she may not. You'll find out as you go on this journey together. You'll both learn, and however it goes, it will be better next time.

I was told leghorn are very uncommon to go broody as well so I was so confused😂 is there anything I need to make sure I do besides food and water constantly, I currently put her on chick starter as of today as well for the extra nutrients. Should I keep her separated and when and how do I move them back? This is a first for both me and Foghorn ( the mama from above)
as it's your first time, you may find reading this thread helpful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread.457488/
At nearly 3000 pages, you probably won't want to read it all :th but it's a great thread to search for answers on this topic.

as it's your first time, you may find reading this thread helpful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread.457488/
At nearly 3000 pages, you probably won't want to read it all :th but it's a great thread to search for answers on this topic.
Normally I wouldn’t even have time but I currently have nothing to do this week (not even work) so all of my attention is on this mama for better or worse all 3000 pages shall be read!!!😊 thank you all for the
advice! When should I candle eggs under her?
EDIT: also I had these eggs shipped for her she has a total of 7 bantam silkie eggs and 5 normal sized ( lavender Orpington, 2 Creamleg bar, Ayam cemani, blue-laced golden Wyandotte) is this too many for her?

Last edited:
It is! You have a special case. Where did you get her from? Hatchery leghorns don't because it has been bred out of them. Breeder leghorns may be different. Sounds like you have it under control! Let her at least see her flock, otherwise they may forget her. I had that happen. The hen was bullied and had to go through the integration proccess. At day 18, 19, or 20, I would block her off completely. That way any chicks that hatch will only be messesed with by mom. Made that mistake with my first broody too. Chick got out from under Mom, as they do, and got pecked in the head. Mom did not protect it. Probably because she was young, about the same age as your pullet. So like Perris said, she may not be a great mom. And you should candle the eggs on day 5 or 7 and check for viability. Then take the non viable eggs out. A lot of people candle again on day 10 - 14. When I had a broody, I think I candled day 3, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 18. I know I candle that often with incubator eggs. I have a bad case of OCD. (Obsessive Candling Disorder)

It is! You have a special case. Where did you get her from? Hatchery leghorns don't because it has been bred out of them. Breeder leghorns may be different. Sounds like you have it under control! Let her at least see her flock, otherwise they may forget her. I had that happen. The hen was bullied and had to go through the integration proccess. At day 18, 19, or 20, I would block her off completely. That way any chicks that hatch will only be messesed with by mom. Made that mistake with my first broody too. Chick got out from under Mom, as they do, and got pecked in the head. Mom did not protect it. Probably because she was young, about the same age as your pullet. So like Perris said, she may not be a great mom. And you should candle the eggs on day 5 or 7 and check for viability. Then take the non viable eggs out. A lot of people candle again on day 10 - 14. When I had a broody, I think I candled day 3, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 18. I know I candle that often with incubator eggs. I have a bad case of OCD. (Obsessive Candling Disorder)
She’s from a hatchery actually ( Meyers hatchery to be exact and that is where I’ve gotten all of my chickens including 7 other pullets about 4 months younger than her I have so many pics if anyone wants to see😂😂) !!!! I have her in a 4 by 2 by 2 rabbit hutch on my upper porch so I could watch her more closely, should I move her down stairs even with her already sitting or just wait? Also can I just put it beside their run so they can still see each other or should she be inside the coop sectioned off? another thing is that most of her flock mates 4 out of 7 are actually leaving this week to go to a new home so she will be the 2nd oldest I was hoping this might moved her up in the pecking order for her and the babies? But I will also be adding the 7 pullets hopefully to the older hens, do you have many problems with pullets hurting chicks or mostly older hens ( my 7 pullets don’t actually realize they are chickens as they were raised by my farm dog and have more in common with him than the hens)

Back
Top Bottom