Not sure if hen is drinking

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by henmania, Oct 7, 2016.

1. henmania

henmania Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2016
    North West London
    So I'm quite new to keeping chickens and recently I've bought a buff Orpington into my newly made pen and she seems to be adjusting well. She's walking around the garden and happily ruining the flowers and eating her pellet mash but I don't think she's drinking water. I was told hens drink a lot of water about 400-500ml but I haven't seen her touch her water once.
    I bought her a Eton water drinker but I can't tell if she's drinking or not.

Any ideas to how I'd know if she's drinking l?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    If she is active and eating stop worrying, she will drink when she needs to.

3. henmania

Oct 7, 2016
    North West London
    Yes she's quite active and eats regularly. Thanks

4. thiaseel9876

thiaseel9876 Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016
    Chipley Fl.
    How big is the pen? If she is ruining the flowers it must be big. She may have found another water supply.

5. henmania

Oct 7, 2016
    North West London
    Well I have a small coop and nesting box and a 3.5m x 2m wire fencing around it so they walk around in there. But I Let them free range sort of during the day for 4-5 hours.
    Today I noticed some of the later pellets mixed in her drinking water so I assume she's actually gone to drink it and also marked where the water line is so will check if it's going down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by