Not sure if hen is sick or not?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellychick, Aug 29, 2013.

1. kellychick

kellychick New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Aberdeenshire Scotland
    I have a mixed breed hen, that I thought had a respiratory infection as I could hear a rattle when she was breathing and I know one of my others had it about a year back. Apart from the rattle noise she was fine, looked normal, eating and drinking. Anyway I got antibiotics from vet as did with the last one. Just finished the weeks course and she still has a rattle when she breaths but still no other signs of illness. I've not long got her so could it be she just breaths like this or should I take her to the vet?? Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some of the respiratory diseases can develop resistance to the antibiotics used. What antibiotic did you use? Some diseases (such as IB) are viruses, and they don't respond to antibiotics at all, but secondary bacterial infections sometimes can be prevented. Did your vet think you had mycoplasma in this bird? Tylan, erythromycin, and chlortetracycline can be used to treat it. Denagard (tiamulin) is a very powerful drug used to treat resistant forms. It can be purchased at QC supply online. This drug also goes by the name chevimulin-T which can be purchased online at www.chevita.com.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. kellychick

kellychick New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Aberdeenshire Scotland
    It was baytril the vet gave us, she wasn't sure what it was and said to try it and see. When my other boy had it he was really ill but the antibiotics cleared it up quick. We go on holiday next fri and I don't want an ill chicken for someone to look after!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by