Not sure if I helped the chick or doomed it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BLaBauve, May 20, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I helped a chick today - I felt I had to, and to be honest I thought it was already dead. It pipped 36 hours ago and never got past the pip. It pipped at the wrong end and never progressed. So today I took it out to chip away some shell, expecting to find a dead chick. Instead I found an alive chick that seemed like it was taking it's first breath. I chipped away some of the shell, but not the membrane. Suddenly I hit blood, I panicked and put the chick back in the incubator. I can still see it breathing back in the incubator. It even cheeped once. Does the blood mean it's now doomed??

2. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Of course I keep staring at it, and I can see it moving around/breathing. I just hope it's not bleeding to death. . .

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Unless it was a really lot of blood, it should be fine. The chick just isn't ready to come out yet.

4. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    It wasn't a lot of blood. I just worry that so much of the membrane is exposed now. I know it's going to stick to the chick.

5. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Since so much of the membrane is exposed I would raise the humidity, but not too high that it could hurt the other chicks. I would also wrap the egg in a moist paper towel but to where the chick can still breath, hopefully someone else more experienced will chime in...

6. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I wrapped it in a warm, wet wash cloth. The chick is still alive and cheeping so I guess that's a good sign. My humidity didn't spike too high, but it did go up with the wet washcloth. I hope it makes it!

7. ChickenRazz

ChickenRazz Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Vidor Texas
    whatever became of this chick?

8. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Her last post was two minutes before yours Razz, so doubt we know yet.

9. ChickenRazz

ChickenRazz Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Vidor Texas
    Oh! thats what I get for reading without my glasses on! I thought the last post was back in 2007. LOL Sorry.
    Anywho, anytime I tried helping a chick out of an egg ...I lost it. That was back when I had an incubator. I was hatching duck eggs.

10. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    After 36+ hours, I'd go ahead and help it out of the shell...one chick died because I didn't help and so I helped the next one and she's doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by