not sure if it's bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elisha81, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Elisha81

Elisha81 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    I have a 6 month pullet with a very slightly swollen food pad. the middle pad of the foot and it is hot to the touch. There is no black dot (yet) and she is limping. Is this early bumblefoot? How should proceed?? If you are looking at her foot you can barely even tell. It is more of a touch thing. The one pad is "squishy" and swollen compared to the other one even though just slightly. THANK YOU! (She is an australorp)

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you take a photo and post it on BYC? That would help diagnose your bird's problem. And how is her other foot? Chickens feet are generally rather warm to the touch, so I'd compare the two feet in order to to tell any differences in heat.

If you haven't noticed a black spot yet, and it is bumblefoot, you might be able to remedy the problem in a more simple way than surgery (which is often the only way to treat more advanced cases). I would prepare a strong Epsom salt and water solution, and then soak her foot in that. This will sometimes help draw out any infection. Also, if you see any wounds on her feet, go ahead and put some antibiotic ointment on the wounds to help prevent further infection.

Another thought (though I don't know if it has been tried before): Perhaps dip her foot in some Witch Hazel to help reduce the swelling. I know that Witch Hazel works when shrinking prolapses, and on other swollen wounds, so it could very well work on bumblefoot.

You could also consider purchasing some Penicillin and injecting it into your pullet's foot. Though a more narrow-range antibiotic, Penicillin is the antibiotic usually recommended when treating bumblefoot.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Quote:X2

4. Elisha81

Apr 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Elisha81

Apr 11, 2013
    I will wait for your replies before I head to the feed store for treatment stuffs :) thanks!!

6. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    If it is bumblefoot, it doesn't look too bad yet. When I look closely, I think I can see a small scab on the foot, so I think that it is the beginnings of bumblefoot. You shouldn't have too much trouble treating this. I'd soak the foot in epsom salts every day or so. Get some antibiotics if possible. A friend of mine had a bird with bumblefoot, and she treated it with epsom salts and an antibiotic (liquamycin, I believe). Probably Penicilliin is the best idea, but a version of oxytetracycline would probably do the job as well.

Hope this helps!

7. Elisha81

Apr 11, 2013
    ahh yeah i think i see a little black spot too. hopefully keeping it clean and etc will keep it from getting worse. hate seeing her limping :( should she be caged?

8. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    I would keep her caged, but make sure that she has plenty of nice soft bedding to prevent irritation or injury to the foot.

9. Elisha81

Apr 11, 2013
    that's what I was thinking. Off to the large dog kennel I have (wire cage) with the edging done as i call it to keep the pine bedding in it.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It does look like your hen has the beginnings of bumblefoot. I'd isolate her in a cage with a nice thick layer of shavings. Also, I'd start soaking her foot in Epsom salts and/or get some antibiotics and give her those. But it looks like you've caught the bumblefoot early enough for it not to be too serious a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by