Not sure if its spraddle...UPDATE WITH PICTURES....

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
someone just gave me an 8 day old silkie that i thought had spraddle.1 of her legs are sticking straight out beside her.i wrapped her legs with vet wrap,the same way i have done many others.usually i see almost immediate results,not this time.when she lays down she kicks her legs out to the side or behind her.i took a better look at her leg and now it seems like maybe her whole leg turns out.any suggestions?im not sure how long she has been this way..thanks for any help...
37930_new_chick_001.jpg

37930_new_chick_003.jpg

37930_new_chick_004.jpg

37930_new_chick_005.jpg

Last edited:
actually now im thinking that she may have a slipped tendon.how would i treat that?ive never dealt with that before and can having spraddle for any length of time cause this?

I don't have experience with slipped tendons myself, but that's what it sounds like to me. Do a search in this section for it, and you'll find lots of threads with info. Good luck with her!

Quote:
thanks,i have been researching but im just not really understanding what to do,and with her being a silkie its hard to see her joint to see if its swollen..

Quote:
thanks,i have been researching but im just not really understanding what to do,and with her being a silkie its hard to see her joint to see if its swollen..

You could try wetting her leg down - that should flatten the fluff enough to see the joint...

Quote:

You could try wetting her leg down - that should flatten the fluff enough to see the joint...

lol i just cant make up my mind as to what it is.im charging my batteries so i can get a pic.maybe everyone on here can tell me...

i just unwrapped her legs,she gets around better not wrapped.i really cant see any swelling and i tried holding her joint between my thumb and finger then rotated her leg.didnt feel anything.i did it with her good leg also,i didnt really feel any difference.could it be that at 8-9 days old its to late to treat spraddle or could this be a tendon problem and i just dont know what im doing?

Back
Top Bottom