not sure if leghorn is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mtpeke, Dec 1, 2012.

1. mtpeke

mtpeke Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I have 7 birds (3 leghorns) and just today I noticed that the one leghorn has gone from a normally perfectly snow white head to one that looks dirty. In two spots it is a bit bald like a couple feathers have fallen out. The head also has these little black dirt like places on it, that look like little small black dirt dots on the end of the feathers. The bird is eating and behaving normally otherwise. Is this molting? The birds are less than a year old.

2. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    My guess is she is molting. when a bird molts the feathers fall out, like our teeth being pushed out by new ones. Then you will see the stem of the feather... slowely the feathery part will grow from the stem. some birds will molt a little bit before a year. Not usually a full molt, but they sence the cool weather come and are preparing a bit.

hope this helps,
    Beautiful Jade

3. mtpeke

mtpeke Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    thanks! The affected area is still just the head and neck. She seems otherwise happy and healthy. I am hoping this is molting as I do not see any lice or nits on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by