1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure if my 10wk old is sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tashaxx, Dec 28, 2012.

1. tashaxx

tashaxx New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    Hi,

I am new to keeping chickens and have 2 x10wk old (Plymouth Rocks & Speckled Sussex) and 1 x 5 week old (light sussex).

The SS is my concern, she seems very small, the 5 week old is now bigger than her, her feathers look a bit manky around her face (this could just be her coloring but her feathers don't seem as good quality as the others). She eats more than the other two and sleeps more than the other two. I see her regularly stretching neck, shaking head and yawning but due to my inexperience I am not sure if this is normal or not. Because I don't see the others do it very often I am thinking its not right. Here are a couple of photos. She seems pretty happy roaming and is always active around the yard.

Any advice is helpful, thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She might have a throat infection. Can you take her to a vet?

3. tashaxx

tashaxx New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    I could take her to the vet but as she seems ok generally, I can't justify $100 at this stage, however if she deteriorated then yes I would.

What makes you think it is a throat infection? Could it be gapeworm? Do you agree she looks unhealthy or is this just how some chickens look?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One of my peachicks was doing the same yawning/neck stretching thing. The vet took a look down his throat and said he had a throat infection. But that is only time I've had one with that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I would sure think a 10-week old SS would be more feathered out... are the others picking on her?

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas. I've had some that seemed to grow slower than others in the batch--enough to make me think they were bantams while the rest were large fowl, but they usually catch up eventually.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good catch... If the other aren't picking on her, I'd be willing to bet she has lice and/or mites. Dust her and the others with poultry dust even if you don't see any.

7. tashaxx

tashaxx New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    I only just saw these messages! Yes I agree that she should be more feathered out, she still has lots of fluff on her head and neck. I was thinking bantam or possibly just a bit underdeveloped? Thanks for the advice will get some poultry dust and give the coup a good clean this weekend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by