Not sure if my chick is eating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DroolBubbles, Apr 9, 2012.

1. DroolBubbles

DroolBubbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    We have one 5 day old that we hatched with 3 almost two week old chicks that we bought at the co-op. The chicks were about 5 days old when we got them and took to the feeder right away but they also had one at the co-op. Our 5 day old has only ever taken 2 bites out of the feeder while I was watching ans it has me a little concerned. She will follow all the other chicks around and peck at the floor and stands near the feeder when they are feeding. She will eat out of my hand and doesn't appear week, not that I could tell if she was. Should I be concerned that she is not eating or am I just not catching it? I want to get shavings back into the brooder but I want to know she is eating from the feeder first. She is the only one of our 15 eggs to hatch so we are a little attached.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, they learn by watching the others. If you've seen her eat from your hand I'd presume she's eating, especially since her energy/activity level is good. Do make sure the older ones aren't crowding her from the feeder though, so make sure there's feed scattered about too (which may be what she's eating anyhow).

3. DroolBubbles

DroolBubbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    There is at least 10 feeding spots for four chicks so she has room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by