Not sure if this goes here!! Egg questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new2chickens, Mar 2, 2008.

1. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    I am very very new to the whole chicken raising thing!! I have two questions:

1. Can you eat fertile eggs??

2. Do eggs need to be washed or anything before putting them in the fridge???

Thanks in advance!
    Sarah

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes, you can eat fertile eggs.

I don't wash mine before I store them. The hen lays them with a protective coating on them called the "bloom". If there's poo on them I take a damp paper towel and wipe it off.

By the way....welcome to the forum!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  3. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Quote:DITTO [​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!!

I agree with Katy!

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Welcome!!! I have learned so much from this forum. Everyone is so helpful, and smart.

6. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys!!

7. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
    New Question:
    We have 2 hens... 1 hen was in the nest this morning, but we saw nothing in there after she got out (could be we missed something) About 30 minutes ago the other hen was in there and when she got out I looked (can you tell I am anxious for my first eggs!!) There were 2 eggs in there!
    Can a hen lay 2 eggs in one sitting??
    And in case the answer is no...what is the amount of times eggs can sit in the next prior to gathering and them not be bad to eat...or is that even an issue??

Thanks,
    Sarah

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:To piggyback on this question, if you CAN eat fertile eggs, does it change them at all, in either the flavor, shelf life, care prior to eating, etc? Thanks!

9. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Hi and welcome..
    I too never wash for the same reasons given, alos most of us do not even rerfidgerate our eggs for some time. they look so pretty on the counter.

I did read that if the eggs were so dirty you just have to wash them then you should coat them very lightly with cooking oil.

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:To piggyback on this question, if you CAN eat fertile eggs, does it change them at all, in either the flavor, shelf life, care prior to eating, etc? Thanks!

You most certainly can eat fertile eggs, does not change the flavor or shelf life, however its a good idea to collect everyday and refrigerate them soon after to make sure they do not develop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by