Not sure if this goes here.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkielover1731, Apr 6, 2012.

1. silkielover1731

silkielover1731 Chillin' With My Peeps

hello,
    me and my neice were thinking of ways to expand our flock by raising money. im 13 and really dont have that much money and we were thinking "well what if we can start earning money for random things" but i really dont know what we can do. a fox came and got most of our flock so we only have 4 hens left and trying to get fertile eggs from them. my mom dosnt want any more chickens because she says they add to much work with the horse chores. but i was thinking if me and my neice do the chic kens and leave the horses and goat to her if she will let us start our breeding we wanna do and show the silkies. so any ideas on how to earn $ fast? really wanna go get some chicks from the feed store too
    thanks,
    Silkielover1731

2. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    A real popular item with teens right now is survival bracelets. You can get the paracord from a sports store or online. to learn how to make them go to youtube and search for survival bracelet videos. There are lots of people that have posted how to tie them. They cost about 1-1.50 to make with a clasp and you can sell for about 6-7 dollars to your classmates. I particularly like the "tying it all together" channel on youtube. He teaches you how to make celtic braids and heart necklaces as well.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. silkielover1731

we are not aloud to sell items in school and i live far away from my classmates so that would be very hard.

4. urban escapee

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    I will tell you what I told my kids..."where there is a will there is a way". What about after school activities, weekend get togethers...ebay, etsy.

My Mom and grandmother always told us "cain't never could" meaning that if you always think about what you cant do, you will never find out what you can do.

Open your mind to the possibilities.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. silkielover1731

i guess i could start mowing lawns or something my grandma says that she has a lot for me to do at her house so i guess what i can do is go over there and my birthday is in a few weeks so that works i guess lol i can also sell stain glass out by the road

6. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Your thinking.... that's a start. [​IMG]

7. urban escapee

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    There you go. If your selling items out by the road, you can add to your items easily. You might be surprised at the result. Also if your on facebook, let your friends, family, teachers, etc. there know what you are doing, so they can come shop. Advertising!! The web is your friend so take advantage of it. :)

p.s. I had a small home based business that I recently turned over to my daughter. She took it to Florida with her and is in talks with some investors so she can have a store front. :)

8. silkielover1731

thanks everyone! this is really helping! i might wait till it gets a little warmer here and than start. i might even have my dad build a little shed that i can keep the money box in also a fridge so i can keep the eggs from spoiling.

9. VkyVky

VkyVky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Ventura County, CA
    My daughters spent a summer or so being a "mother's helper." They played with the little kids while their mother was there. This freed up mom to do stuff around the house without having to stop every few minutes to get a snack, pick up after, etc for the kids. Babysitting, light cleaning are services you can perform. How about homework help for younger kids? (A reward for kids help motivate them to work with you - like stickers, small chocolates...) Just get the price right - don't price yourself too low, but not too high because you aren't professionals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by