Not sure if this is a Plymoth Rock or a Holland and if it is a PR is it male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by deana510, Feb 5, 2012.

1. deana510

deana510 New Egg

Feb 5, 2012
    [​IMG]
    It has rounded feathers and pointed feathers small stub spurs and also crows. But I have been told that females can crow sometime also. Please help!

[​IMG]

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    ROOSTER! Big wattles, hackle and saddle feathers, spurs coming in (though hens can get them too).
    Where did you get him? Hatchery, breeder, craigslist? Rocks have yellow legs, but it could just be a hatchery quality PR and have the white legs.
    Hope this helps!

3. deana510

deana510 New Egg

Feb 5, 2012
    If you look up PR's the females get big waddles and combs also the male gets enlongated waddles though that is why i am not sure if it is a PR and if it is going to be male or female we got them on the 15th of october from a feed and farm store they said they were about 3 weeks old so it is about 4 and 1/2 months old now.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    210% cockerel its hatchery bird but with the white legs and the cockoo pattern i'm going with a marans

its got the rooster hackles and saddles (adult feathers are starting to come in)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its leg color and barring is a dead give away that its not a br (no not trying to sound mean). he has white legs, the barring is a cockoo patteren, and he has the right comb to be a cockoo marans

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Cuckoo Marans Cockeral.

Hens dont get pointed feathers, thats a boy

7. deana510

deana510 New Egg

Feb 5, 2012
    ok thanks, I looked up cuckoo marans which are not listed on this web site under breeds or I would have included the breed in my list and see that they do look alike. My family is new to the chicken world. My daugther joined FFA.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    [​IMG]

He's probably going to start crowing soon. I hope you can keep him.

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Definitely a cockerel, and I agree with hdowden that he's a HQ Cuckoo Marans.

10. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    hiya! I would guess Marans as well,Cuckoo Barring correct for the Holland, but leg color is wrong.

Enjoy your roo, he's beautiful!, get him a girlfriend and enjoy some chocolate eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by