Not sure if this is egg yolk? Need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BCIslandChick, Mar 24, 2015.

1. BCIslandChick

BCIslandChick New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    [​IMG]

I went out today to my coop and found a hen sitting in the corner with her wings low and looking generally miserable.
    I brought her in and gave her some food and water and just watched her. She's not eating, drinking a little but not much.
    I left her along for a little while and came back to find this on the paper behind her. It looks like yolk to me and has the consistency of egg white.
    I don't see any dripping out of her vent. Her vent is moving in and out a little and she seems to be breathing alright but grunting the odd time. I have not seen her poop. Just found this and that's it. Do you think she was egg bound and it broke?

I have started her on tetracyclin in her water and am feeding to her by syringe.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    How old is the bird? Has she been laying before? You might want to glove up and lube up and check very carefully for egg shell inside her. Be extremely careful if there is any shell to remove. Does her abdomen feel squishy or like it's full of water? Does she look like a penguin the way she stands?

Go here: http://beautyofbirds.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html See if that fits her symptoms. Ask more Q's, we are here for you.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  3. BCIslandChick

BCIslandChick New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    She's just about 2 years old. Her abdomen feels fine, not squishy. She's just sitting there wings low and hunched over. She just sat down and is sitting there. I don't see anything else leaking out her vent. She was fine yesterday, acting normal.

4. BCIslandChick

BCIslandChick New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Egg colored droppings, no appetite, and lethargy seems to be her thing. I'm guessing that she has Egg Yolk Peritonitis. Has anyone ever beat this? And how? I've had chickens for 5 years now and never encountered this. Thanks for your help!

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Never had it but I edited my original post, gave you a link....

6. BCIslandChick

BCIslandChick New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    I just checked her vent and I can't feel any egg shell, though some more yolk like substance came out. I soaked her back end in warm water and wrapped her in a towel. Is there anything else I should do?

7. AmbientPad

AmbientPad New Egg

Jun 27, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    I had a girl with very similar symptoms-have you felt her front to see if she has lost weight? Mine had tumors in her reproductive organs and she degraded noticeably over about a week.

8. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Just keep watching poops. Whenever you give a chicken a bath, they love a good blow dry! I'm not sure but it's EYP or IL that can be prevented with spaying. No clue what that costs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by