not sure if this is eggbound or what...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tarragon, Aug 2, 2011.

1. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    My 19 week old Red Star has laid 2 eggs this week. They have both been very pale shells, not brown like her sisters first eggs. Also, the shells were very thin and both had broken spots from hitting the nest. I didn't worry, because I expected first eggs to be a work in progress.

Well, yesterday she kept going to the nest and staying there quite a while, but no eggs. Today, same thing. Then we noticed she was just sitting in the grass a lot today. I brought her some yogurt mixed with oats, her favorite treat, and she got up and ate it with the others. I looked her over and it looked like she had an egg stuck- her vent looked open and I could see a bulge. I came inside to look up what to do, and suddenly my husband asks what I had given the chickens to eat that was all floppy. I ran out to look and she had passed, well, it looked like it was an eggshell that was really soft and floppy, in two pieces, we also found some yolk on the ground and some egg white in another spot. She was up and moving around after that, but now, about 10 minutes later she is still just resting in the grass.

I looked up "eggbound" but I'm not sure if I should bathe and massage her or if this means she already passed it. Any suggestions? Her vent looks closed now, by the way.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It certainly sounds like she passed at least part of the problem, but I'm wondering if there is more still up there since she is not active. Let's hope she is just recovering and will be fine in a day or two.

3. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    After resting for a couple of hours, she was much more active last evening. She was eating grass and digging up bugs. This morning she seems perfectly fine.

I'm thinking of getting some oyster shell today, since they just started laying I haven't had any yet. Maybe she needs a little help getting a hard shell so there's something she can push against. I've read that a soft shell is hard to expel. Her sister has had really thick, hard shells right from the start, so I thought their diet was fine, but maybe she just needs a calcium boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by