Not sure if this is even a problem or it's just a "chicken behavior"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ND, Sep 19, 2010.

1. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Since having my flock... I usually hear *nothing* coming from the coop after 'bedtime'. Maybe the occasional flutter of rearrangement or someone getting crowded off a roost. (why must they all want the exact SAME spot... with 20 ft. of unused roosts all around?)

Last night, and tonight, I've heard a hen do a very quiet "bawk bawk bawk" (always three together) while on the roost. Often... every 30 seconds to a minute. I don't believe I've really ever heard it before, at least it's never drawn my attention if there was any random noise.

This evening after hearing it, I went out... found the hen that was doing it... picked her up and listened to her breathing/chest, etc. Nothing unusual heard.

She's acted completely fine during the day... she doesn't do it during the day like she has the last two nights. She's laying, eating, drinking, scratching around... all seems perfectly fine.

I'm assuming she's FINE... but what's with the 'bawk bawk bawk' while roosting all of a sudden? Any behavioral reason I should be aware of.... 'normal' vocalizations at night(?) or....?

FWIW, my flock has CRD, I belive it's MG (99.9% sure, just not officially diagnosed by vet/testing)... but no one is currently sick... just assumed carriers. Perhaps that's not relevant, but who knows!

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    FWIW, my flock has CRD, I belive it's MG (99.9% sure, just not officially diagnosed by vet/testing)... but no one is currently sick... just assumed carriers. Perhaps that's not relevant, but who knows!

What??? I don't understand these abbreviations.​

3. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Geebs- CRD=chronic respiratory disease, MG is Mycoplasma gallisepticum. It's one of the illnesses that get lumped into the CRD catagory.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, my girls have conversations in the coop all the time. Sometimes just one gal is being gabby, sometimes they tell secrets to each other. I've considered getting a baby monitor just to listen in to them.... [​IMG]

I don't think your hen's vocalizations are anything untoward.

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Maybe she's dreaming.[​IMG]

6. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have thought about the baby monitor thing but don't think my husband would appreciate it ;D
    Quote:

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My girls sometimes start that automated clucking when they're thinking about going broody. Maybe she does it more at night 'cause she's dreaming about babies. [​IMG] But seriously, maybe she's starting to go broody.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've heard mine 'cooing' and sometimes a 'twill' sound coming from one or two of them. I just wish I could sleep as good as they do.....sigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by