1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not sure if this is just my bad memory

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover87, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    I have a few questions ones I should already know but maybe have forgotten. I got my first ducks last year from TSC. This year I had some ducklings ordered from a hatchery and tomorrow they will be 2 weeks old. However they have gotten feathers and are starting to be oily when wet. All my ducklings have feathers in their tails and most of them are covered in them. They aren't fully feathered but they are deff getting some. And tonight (as I've worked from 10 to 8 today) I gave them a swim in the tub and when taking them out my hands seemed to be all oily. Is this normal because I don't remember my Pekins growing sooo fast. I k ow ducks grow fast but this fast already its not fair I want the cute Lil fuzz balls back. Also my ducklings seem to "twitch" their feathers when they are starting to fall asleep and when they are sleeping. I don't ever remem er my Pekins doing this. But then again I can barely tell you what I did yesterday half the time lol

2. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    They do grow fast. what's the breed on your latest ducklings? The twitching I've seen with all of mine when little so pretty sure its norm. The oily residue not so sure at two weeks. Just moved my latest batch outside its so lonely in washroom now so enjoy while their little.

3. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    My newest babies are quite the mix. I have 3 Cayugas, 3 WH, 3 Rouens, 2 KC, and 4 Anconas. Oh that's so sad. I'm dreading bringing the ducks outside once its warm enough so that I can. Especially missing out on bath time and waking up to the sounds of their quite peeping and water drinking. We all love pics so here's a few pics :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    They are so adorable.

5. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Thanks.. I sure think so. They still amaze me at how cute and adorable they all are. When I'm not working I just sit on the couch and watch them all day :) I just can't believe how fast they are growing already.

6. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I got 3 last year from Tsc Pekins. Ended up with 17 more kept telling myself my 3 guys needed girlfriends. Theses are our youngest babies[​IMG]

7. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Aww duck math isn't it wonderful? They are soo adorable!!

8. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    When they get to takes baths it stimulates their feathers to grow faster and in turn their oil glands to produce so they can swim without getting soaked. Ducks who don't bathe don't grow feathers as fast. But sounds like you're being a great mommy! I'm sure it's just the differences in breeds and that's why they grow different.

9. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Hmm well they've had lots of baths since the first day I got them lol only supervised of course! I try soo hard to be. I even know what quacks mean what before I get to em. My bf says I'm crazy because he says there's no way that I can tell what they need when they sound the same 24/7. Maybe but I was thinking my Pekins would of grown faster but I'm not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by