1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure if this is the right spot for this thread

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tnspursfan09, Aug 30, 2013.

1. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    Do chickens like to play in water? It's been so hot here the last couple of days, that I'm wondering if I should put a little pool in the run. Would they use it? I have been putting ice cubes in their water dish and they have lots of shade, but it's sooo humid.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    no they don't like playing in water only duck and geese like that.. But I do spray mine with the hose to cool them off.

3. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    Thanx...wasn't sure about it. Hmmm, wonder if I could let my mister spray over part of their run?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some folks use misters. I have a kiddie pool in my run for my ducks and occasionally see a chicken standing in it. They don't bathe, per se, like you see wild birds do, but some do cool their feet off.

5. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Mine will stand in a puddle, but hate it if they get sprayed. They race for the coop at the first sprinkle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by