Not sure if this is the right thread to put this on...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bloom chicks, Jan 31, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I have a Turkey and 2 chickens that have decided to hang out around my yard. I don't know who they belong to but they won't leave. My rooster decided to mount the hen. The turkey and my broody hen were fighting. I know nothing about turkeys but the chickens that it is with seem to be friends. What should I do about these birds around my chickens.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    That's odd.. are you sure you don't have a army of poultry building up under your feet?[​IMG] You put the post in the right thread. Do you know how they are getting in?

3. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    My chickens free range. I think the turkey wants to be a mom or dad ( I don't know what the turkey is) because it has been following my broody with her chicks this morning. She seems to be okay with it as long as it doesn't get too close to the babies. The white chickens have left but the turkey is still here.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    That's weird that the turkey wants to be a daddy! Does he/she look like a feral turkey or just a wild turkey? [​IMG][​IMG]<--- Image of a wild turkey, it kinda looks like a bronze.

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I found out tonight that it is a girl. She seems sweet. One of my neighbors told me that it belongs to his neighbor and that he doesn't really take care of his "things" the owner wasn't home tonight. The poor turkey wanted to sleep in the coop with my chickens but they weren't having it. They let me know LOUD and CLEAR that they didn't want it in the coop. They don't mind free ranging with it but they won't sleep with it. [​IMG] I feel bad for her.

6. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Aw, a female turkey wanting to be a daddy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by