1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure if this should go here but........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Jan 24, 2013.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    [​IMG]

My 9 month old Blue red laced Wynaodott is missing some feathers. She started missing them on the back of her neck like maybe where Mr. Jack would be getting her or maybe she would be getting pecked. Now i have noticed she has lost almost all of them under her neck. She is also looking bare all around her face. Maybe not bare but maybe where new feathers are coming in. I am pretty sure she isnt getting pecked in those places like under her neck. Here are some pic i was wondering if maybe she is molting but i thought she may be too young. Also i am not able to keep uploading pictures. I havent loaded pic on here lately and i see its new. Can someone tell me the problem please? thanks

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If it is a moult she will likely have "pin feathers" emerging from where she has lost her original feathers.... if not - she may have lice/mites and you should treat with sevin/permethryn... all chickens and the coop too... hope this is of help!

Suzie

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    she does have the feathers coming back in. nobody else is loosing feathers. so she isnt to young to molt at 9 months?

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It is not impossible for her to be moulting at her age.. I have known chickens of nine months of age moulting... as you say she has pin feathers so it appears to be a moult.

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by