1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure if this should go here or in"emergency/illness" but I need help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lydiamwelch, Apr 20, 2016.

1. lydiamwelch

lydiamwelch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Maine
    Help! Just brought my girls home today and noticed this Cochin's eyes. She also stands alone a lot, in the corner. What can I do to save her??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Is she eating or drinking? I just got my baby chicks in the mail today too, and I had a chick that was just sitting there very wobbly with her eyes closed and not eating or drinking. I used a spoon to dip in the water and bring it to her beak so she could drink, and after doing that consistantly for 3-4 hours she was able to drink on her own and is now eating too and acting like a normal chick. Maybe you could try that? Adding electrolytes to the water would be the best. (That's what I did.) If you don't have electrolytes, plain sugar water would work too. You just want to get her hydrated and enough energy so she can drink and eat by herself.

3. Ourpeeps123

Ourpeeps123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    I would take her to the vet.

4. lydiamwelch

lydiamwelch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Maine
    Update: the eye that is swollen is bugging her (she is itching like crazy and has made it bleed. BUT she just went to the bathroom for the first time since she's been home (that I've noticed)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by