Not sure if you can see the pic, but hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mdp1965, Jan 28, 2012.

1. mdp1965

mdp1965 New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Auraucana hatched in August of 2011. Its the one on my Avatar photo.

Thanks!

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    100% Easter Egger rooster, obvious even in the tiny sideways pic. ;)

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    x3

5. mdp1965

mdp1965 New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you all!

6. Duccle addict

Duccle addict New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    I'd have to agree with the rooster vote. But I also think he's an ameraucana because araucanas are rumpless with large ear tufts.

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    He's not an Ameraucana.

Ameraucanas are an APA accepted breed with standards. The cock doesn't meet those standards - not an accepted color, wrong type, comb isn't a pea, and I would be willing to bet his legs are green. Definitely a mutt Easter Egger.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    rooster 100%. Easter Egger.

9. mdp1965

mdp1965 New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    A questions as well for any good urban farmers, since this rooster came into the coop, my black sex link and two golden comets have not laid any eggs. they are 2.5 years. Not sure if I upset the hormonal balance of the coop. They have nothing to do with him except peck him.

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    There are a lot of possible factors:
    1. At 2.5 years old, depending on breed, some hens are almost done laying (hens are born with a finite number of eggs; once they're gone they're gone. If they are "laying machines" and lay an egg almost every day, they run out of eggs sooner than a hen who only lays 3-4 eggs a week and takes off 2 months a year to molt.
    2. As alluded to in (1), they will stop laying while they molt. They typically molt in late Fall/early winter (I have 3-4 molting right now) and since it is that time of year it might have something to do with your cessation in laying.
    3. The shorter daylight hours over winter typically reduce laying. Pullets in their first year of laying will often lay well through their first winter, but in subsequent years will stop or drastically reduce production when the days get so short.
    4. Depending on how recently you added the rooster, he may well be the cause. Any change in their environment can lead to them stopping laying until they have adapted to the change. Just recently, all I did was change out the bedding material in my BCM's favorite nest box and I haven't had an egg from her since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by