Not sure my pullets are pullets...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilyegg, Oct 18, 2016.

1. lilyegg

lilyegg Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2016
    Illinois
    These chicks were purchased as pullets from MyPetChicken.com and were born on Sept 19th. They turned five weeks old yesterday. Have suspected that a few are cockerels, but they've changed over the past two weeks and I'm no longer sure.
    I have:
    one partridge rock, one white silkie, one Super Blue Egg Layer (Leghorn x EE mix? The genetics are unknown), one golden laced wyandotte, one salmon faverolle, and one australorp.

The silkie I am not going to include specific pictures of because they're so hard to sex but she may be in a few photos just in the background so if you have a guess for her/his gender from the appearances she makes in pictures go ahead and take a guess.

Partridge Rock: (clear wattles forming, but comb is peachy with a little bit of pink, pale brown legs but were darker when younger)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Australorp:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Golden Laced Wyandotte:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Salmon Faverolle: (no wattles forming)
    [​IMG]
    Super Blue Egg Layer: (no wattles at all, not even a pink area of skin underneath, but bright pink comb with three rows of what look to be peas. had the long-short-long-short wing feather pattern at a day old and was the first to fully feather out. legs are light light pink and yellow.)
    [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Wait another week. They are still a little to young to tell. As for the SBEL and the faverolle, they aren't supposed have wattles, they have muffs, so the wattles either aren't there or are super tiny.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Hummm, as PeepersMama says, wait at least another week or so (8wks). Australorp looks pullet, GLW does too, no experience with the other breeds. IF any turn out Cockerel, I'd contact MyPetChicken.

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely thinking the Wyandotte and Australorp are pullets, but not exactly sure on the other two. I agree, time will tell for sure! [​IMG]

~Alex

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The Rock looks like a pullet. She'll be easy--look at the breast feathers. If they're brown/salmon, she's a she. If they're black, he's a he.
    the Aussie looks like a pullet.
    the Wyandotte looks like a pullet.
    The faverolles doesn't look like a faverolles. I know the hatchery quality has been very, very poor the last year or so, but that color is biziarre even for what I've seen. Is that a straight comb? Can we get a full body shot, including legs? It looks female, whatever it is.

The super blue egg layer.....sorry, I don't think you're going to see blue eggs. That comb, with the three plump red rows at this little age, spell cockerel to me. Pea combed birds often don't get wattles at all. Pics of my mature pea combed rooster....

[​IMG]

no wattles. Vs my straight combed rooster with glorious wattles....

[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 donrae

7. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

The faverolle is definitely a hen. Salmon roos have a lot more black, while the hens are/should be a soft, light brown color on their backs. My sister is jealous [​IMG]

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA

Ditto this. The bird in question looks to have a rose or pea comb (I think it's a pea?), and I've never seen that on a hatchery Fav. More pictures would help.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  9. lilyegg

lilyegg Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2016
    Illinois
    Thank you all for the responses so far. Here's a few more pictures of Sammi (salmon faverolle) but it's been hard to get good photos of her because she's so squirmy. She does have the five toes and when she was little she looked a lot like a salmon Faverolle chick. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you get a comb shot of Sammi?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by