Not sure of age, breed, or sex!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blamesora, Feb 1, 2012.

1. blamesora

blamesora New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    I bought these on Christmas, but I'm not sure how old they were when I bought them. They were all different ages, and I'm guessing they were anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. I've had them for about 5 weeks now, so do they look to be about 7 to 9 weeks old?

Their primary purpose is to lay eggs, so it doesn't really matter what breed they are as long as they can produce yummy and frequent eggs. But, if you can let me know what breed (and sex) you think they are, that would be greatly appreciated!

Emerald: This one I'm sure is an Ameraucana, but is she still too young to say that she's actually a she? I'm hoping this one's going to be laying blue eggs.

[​IMG]

Con Bau: This one I'm pretty sure is a White Wyandotte cockerel, and I know this photo probably doesn't help much since he's not standing up.

[​IMG]

Fuzzy Wuzzy: The breeder told me she was a Rhode Island Red, but what else could she be? Possibly a Production Red or Red Star? She looks a little bit orange in this photo, but imagine her one or two shades deeper red.

[​IMG]

Bronzer: I was told this one was a Golden-Laced Silver Wyandotte. Its comb is a bit peculiar - it looks like it's been flattened, so it's flat on the top, and spills out slightly to the sides.

[​IMG]

Baby White Wings: This is the runt. I suspect it suffers from stunted growth. Not sure if he or she. If it's a she, will her eggs be considerably smaller since she's already so small?

[​IMG]

Serenity: This one might be a Leghorn or a Wyandotte. I'm hoping it's not a rooster.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    2nd and 4th pics look like cockerels rest look like pullets so far. 1st pic unless you got her from a dedicated breeder then she's an ee and looks like an ee.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I brought ameraucanas and later discovered they were EE's. I agree the first one is probably an Easter Egger and I can help with the little runt question. I had a very small leghorn that laid an xx-large egg everyday.

4. RedPyleLady

RedPyleLady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    ages looks about right except for maybe the wyandotte and the second to last pic they might be a bit younger i cant tell for sure if they still have down. As for that mysterious RIR my hens looked JUST like that and i dont believe any of them are true RIR. Your girl might be a production red or a red star. If her feathers arent so dark red that they look almost black i wouldnt put my money on a RIR. My girl that looks like that has a hilarious personality shes real brave and had quite a bit of audacity XD

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My guesses:

1) EE pullet
    2) Leghorn cockerel (wyandottes do not have straight combs, especially white - white is a breeder color and should NEVER have a straight comb)
    3) Dunno
    4) Blue laced red wyandotte cockerel
    5) Leghorn or white rock, could be bantam
    6) Leghorn or white rock pullet (not familiar with shape of leghorn, but this looks like a plymouth rock to me)

6. blamesora

blamesora New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    Thank you! I'm relieved that I've at least got 4 pullets. The breeder I bought the EE from definitely was not a dedicated breeder. He was the breeder closest to me, but I'm disappointed that I purchased my chicks from him and not someone a little bit more reputable. I mean, I love my little babies, but I wish I knew more about them or where they came from.

Thank you! I'm glad that I'll be getting some blue easter eggs this June. I don't need her to be an Ameraucana because I'm not showing or breeding - I just wanted some interesting egg colors :] It must have been awful for a small leghorn to lay xx-large eggs every day, lol. I eat quail eggs regularly, so small eggs coming from this little one won't be a problem for me.

The red one (Fuzzy Wuzzy) is actually my favorite one out of the flock! She's the only one who will come up to me and let me hold her without running way. She's just so laid back unlike the others who are a bit skiddish. I had another red one, too, but I think her bravery is what got her carried away by a hawk last week :(

Thank you! I was actually most curious about #4, and I'm glad that you could give me a name! I searched up blue laced red wyandottes, and that looks like the closest thing to what I have. I was thinking that my runt was a bantam too. When he was beginning to sprout real feathers, his wings grew to be longer than his body. I don't know if that's any indication that he's a runt or a bantam.

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    x2 except I think all the white ones are likely White Rocks. Leghorns are more "skinny" looking, these have more heft.
    #3 is a Production Red. True Rhode Islands are a very deep dark mahogany and Red Stars are a lighter red with white leakage. Production Reds are like yours, medium red with black leakage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by