1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure of breeds of my hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rooster-red, Jul 12, 2007.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I hope a very breed savy person can verify what breed some of my hens are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Your list at the bottom looks accurate to me. You have some very nice birds, your roo is very impressive!

3. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    I'm not going to be much help, but that last hen with the black and white is very striking! Total eye candy.

Is that first buff one really a hen? Looks like a rooster to me... but, my first thought was a buff colored leghorn mix. I'm probably way off.

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Buff Orpington, (kinda lanky though) and either Rhode Island Reds or New Hanpshire Reds, and the spotted one is either a Fuyoumi or a Hamburg mix.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am looking at the legs of the first one and thinking skinny buff orpington. The second I am thinking rhode island reds. The third - don't know.

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW you have some pretty birds.the last one looks just like my Silverlaced Hamburg in color not design [​IMG] wonder what he is mixed with..very perty man there
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The first one, "buffy" we thought was a buff orpington.

The second set, "Penny & Agatha" we were told are RIR's but the have pink legs so I'm not so sure

The last one, "Speckles" we thought might be a hamburg, the black spots have a green irridescence when veiwed in full sunlight. Either that or the worlds biggest pigeon.

On behalf of Speckles, Thanks for the compliment.[​IMG]

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

That does not look like an Orp. By the white earlobe I'd say Buff Minorca instead.

The bottom pullet is a very nicely marked Silver Spangled Hamburg.

Nice looking group you have! [​IMG]

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Hmmm.... Minorca, I'll have to look that one up, never heard of it (no suprise since I'm new to this)[​IMG]

10. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    The comb doesn't look right for a Minorca, mine had floppy combs like leghorns or Andalusians. Maybe her comb hasn't got big enough to flop over yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by