1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure on the kind of duck and need advice on raising him

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mickilees, Mar 7, 2017.

1. mickilees

mickilees Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2017
    So a a friend had let me know about and abandoned duck that was found and not claimed. I live in a fenced yard directly on a lake and have time in my life to give attention to this duck. Right at first it was somewhat apparent he was not used to being outside so we have been taking him out during the day and he comes inside at night with us. He follows us everywhere and yesterday we took out kayaks and he jumped in the lake and followed us. Odd thing was he was other ducks some domestic as well and appeared to care less. Also we haven't clipped his wings and he fly's up to sleep in bed with us. He unbelievably goes poo almost all the time on wee wee pads I put around. I have a paddle board shop and am wondering if he will like to go with me to do tours. Will he eventually leave if left to be so open? Should I clip his wings? I want to do right for this duck and do what's best for him not best for me. [VIDEO][​IMG]
    [/VIDEO][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    2 people like this.
  2. mickilees

Mar 1, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mickilees

Mar 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That looks to be a Welsh Drake.....No need to clip his wings....He won't be going anywhere.....Sounds like he is imprinted to people.....I would set up a pen outside for him with a mirror hanging so he is more content alone......get him a kiddie pool and he will be happy.....How nice that you gave him a home....Looks like he is extremely happy......

Enjoy your Duck.....I love all my Ducks.....Feathered Puppies.....;)

Cheers!

5. AvengerofSquids

AvengerofSquids Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2016
    Looks like a male Welsh Harlequin. That is the same species of duck that I have, and I can say that they are super friendly and make great pets. You shouldn't have to clip his wings, because this species of duck usually can't get too high off the ground. He probably will stick around if you give him food, water, and love, because he seems to have adopted you as his family. Best of luck to you!

Have you named him yet? Does he get along with the cat I can see in the first picture? He seems like an adorable duck and I would love to hear more about him! :)

6. mickilees

Mar 1, 2017
    His name is Baxter and I'm over the top in love with him. The cat and him are still stand offish as my cat is a giant baby and isn't looking for trouble. Because of this each day Baxter appears to mind him less and quacks a few times but that's about it. He has access to a huge lake with lots of duck..Most mallard but a few that are very fancy black and white and three farm ducks that live across the way. He doesn't seam interested in them at all and I'm worried about him being lonely when I'm not around. Baxter is really sweet and has a cute personality. We are very lucky to have him join our household

7. mickilees

Mar 1, 2017
    Any advise on what's best for him is welcome. I'm in NJ and weather can get crazy. Is he safe with the door open on his house to roam during the day so he can go on the lake? Dogs and animals can't get into my yard as my yard is a fenced fill in that is built into the face of a mountain. The only way in and out is the water..Or through the house. He doesn't seam to like to go up the ramp into the indoor part of his house and it's been nasty out at night so I've been bringing him in every night..But then he seams unhappy when I take him back out. Any advice is good

8. AvengerofSquids

AvengerofSquids Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2016
    He sounds wonderful! I'm glad that the cat doesn't seem interested in hurting him, as that would have been a problem. Ducks are flock animals and he considered you his family pretty quickly, which means that he most likely lived with people before and possibly imprinted on them. If that is true, then he may think that he is a person, not a duck, which is why he isn't as interested in other ducks. However, he will probably feel lonely if you are gone, so if possible it may be a good idea to get him a duck friend.

Ducks are more resistant to the weather than chickens are, but when there is a lot of snow they will probably not want to head out. They also have trouble going up ramps sometimes. When I first put a ramp in my duck pen so my gals could get in the nest box, they couldn't figure out how to climb it. I had to add little wooden "steps" that I attached to the ramp and had to make it less steep so their webbed feet could get a grip on the wood. You might have to do something similar - ducks aren't as good climbers as chickens.

9. mickilees

Mar 1, 2017
    OK..Thank you. I'll adjust the ramp for him and keep up the routine of bringing him in. I'll ask look into getting him a friend. Does the type of duck matter?

10. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Hello fellow New Jerseyian![​IMG]
    No the type does not really matter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by