Not Sure The Kind of Bug

Can Thyme Kill Parasites? (Please Vote!)

• Total voters

The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Everybody,

I have a mother hen with her (two) baby chicks. She is not in the biggest place, nor cleanest...
But I am waiting until they are old enough so I can let them outside when my parents watch them and I can clean the coop. (Their immune systems are not quite prepared for the open wide).

I sit in the coop with them, mostly in jeans, sometimes in denim shorts. I never wear shoes up there that have left the house and have I worn to stores. I have never had bugs on my chickens, but one little chick (Maggy) there is about six yellow tiny bugs I can not kill they are so small and hard.

Running through her "baby fluff". I have done some research I began to think they are poultry lice. Are they lice? Contagious to humans etc. chickens? I use everything all natural, what can I do? I just started becoming best friend with Maggy and I do not want to lose her trust by holding her too much.

Can I make up an herbal spray to spray on Maggy? I do not want to use DE though, food grade or nothing. I do not believe it. Oh, and her sister does not have it either!! Please tell me everything you can! [Never had this happen, can ya tell?]

I notice it on my legs when I get up too, never bit me, never followed me in the house, but why was it on me? Her mother doesn't have them either (not that I know of). Help please!

Sincerely, hoping there is a natural cure, The Angry Hen.

Sounds like mites to me, not lice. If so, you have a issue on your hands that thyme will not solve. The mites live in the coop, and in the bedding. If you are getting mites on you, you have a serious infestation. They are blood suckers, and can easily kill a young bird. You will need to completely clean out the coop, treat the coop, and the birds with insecticide, and repeat the whole treatment process 7 - 10 weeks later. You will need to destroy the bedding b/c mites can live 10 months between feedings. Do a thread search or google search for mites AND lites. This will help you to know what you are dealing with.

Sounds like mites to me, not lice. If so, you have a issue on your hands that thyme will not solve. The mites live in the coop, and in the bedding. If you are getting mites on you, you have a serious infestation. They are blood suckers, and can easily kill a young bird. You will need to completely clean out the coop, treat the coop, and the birds with insecticide, and repeat the whole treatment process 7 - 10 weeks later. You will need to destroy the bedding b/c mites can live 10 months between feedings. Do a thread search or google search for mites AND lites. This will help you to know what you are dealing with.

Hello There,

Thank you for the response.
Scary to hear. I will try that, thanks!

~The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom