not sure were to put this...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss heny, May 9, 2011.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

well, yesterday i found a bay mocking bird, there is no place around here that takes care if wild birds and such, so i will most likely be stuck taking care of it, so, i have a Q, how do you teach it to fly when it is big to fly?

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Start by flapping your arms? [​IMG]

Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, fledglings basically hop out of the nest and wing it. (No pun intended.) Is it fully feathered? Fledglings look "almost adult". They are very clumsy, and often hop around, and fly a bit, making very ungraceful landings, but that's how they learn to fly.

Now, if you're sure it's a baby, too young for leaving the nest, then maybe you can go to an exotic pet shop and get some baby bird feed there, or you could google it to find out what those types of birds eat........It would learn how to fly by trial and error really....

You could take it outside to exercise it.........

Good luck to you.......

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  6. miss heny

Quote:thank you! [​IMG] i watch the mother birds, and they bribe the chicks to fly [​IMG]

7. miss heny

k, i read in a book that mocking birds eat bugs, and like the fruits holly and grapes, can i feed worms to it? or should i get crickets? or stay will feeding grapes

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  8. miss heny

Quote:k, i will [​IMG]

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you can, switch to feeding soaked hard dog food. Just soak some kibble until it is soft enough to pull apart and feed that. That is the most nutritious for baby birds, but you can certainly supplement with fruit like applesauce as the baby grows older.

10. miss heny

Quote:ah, it is a fledgling, i am catching bugs for it (oh joy [​IMG]) and such

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by