1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what 3 of my hens are...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ur-ur-ur-urrr, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Ur-ur-ur-urrr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    I bought 6 hens (4 layers and 2 pullets) on Tuesday (10/20) to start my flock. I'm sure 3 of the hens are production RIR, 1 hen and 1 pullet I believe are Red Sex-links, and the other pullet was said to be a Brown Leghorn mix. If anyone can confirm or deny their identities, it would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You definitely have three Production Reds and one Red Sex Link pullet. The other two are mixed breeds and one of them looks as though it is likely a Brown Leghorn mix.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree - beautiful Doberman too

4. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    Thanks for the quick replies... and thanks for complementing Max. He's very protective of the hens... lol!

5. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    Funny, the mixed hen is my best layer. Every day, by 8:30 am, she lays and egg. The others, not so much. I've averaged about 1.5 eggs per day over the last 5 days. Was told they were molting, so egg production would be kind of slow. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't see any sign of molting. Hmm. Oh... I noticed I didn't include a picture of their new home. It's nothing elaborate, but it took me 3 weeks to build it (by myself).

[​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

10. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    I definitely can live with that. Thanks again for the replies!

Speaking of replies... I had a nice conversation earlier today with a man by the name of Ron Fogle. Some of you may have heard of him... lol! I had contacted him by email expressing my desire to acquire some heritage RIR... specifically some from the Fogle line. I was saddened to hear that he had sold off his line awhile back. I completely understand his reason(s) for doing so. A super-nice guy, and I wish him and his family the best of luck. I'm sure he'll understand if I don't wait until his obsession kicks back in... [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by