Not sure what breed and what sex my chickens are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kellhell515, Oct 4, 2013.

1. kellhell515

kellhell515 New Egg

Oct 4, 2013
    Could you plase tell me what sex my chickens are and what breed they are. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

3. kellhell515

kellhell515 New Egg

Oct 4, 2013
    All roosters huh? **** when I bought them as chicks they said they were all hens.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 all roosters, look like mixes.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd be calling whomever sold them to you and asking for your money back.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them are roosters. The first bird is a mix (not sure what breeds are in him), the second one is also a mix (he might have some Blue Laced Red Wyandotte in him, as well as some Easter Egger), the third is a hatchery quality Rhode Island Red, and the last one is another mix (could have some Easter Egger in him).

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. those are all mixed breed looking roosters. If they were sold as hens, the seller needs to make it right.

8. kellhell515

kellhell515 New Egg

Oct 4, 2013

I bought them at tractor supply and they won't give me a refund. I guess I'll have to get actual hens next year. Is there a good place where I can make sure I am getting hens?

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    First, I'd march into TSC and demand to see a supervisor and raise holy hell. Tell them you're going to bring those roosters in a cage and tell them to take them back at the very least. Do you remember which employee told you they were all hens? Tell the supervisor that you were promised hens, that you've put quite a bit of feed into them to get them to this point, and they're lucky that you're only asking for your money back. Also, I'd raise hell about them selling you mixed breeds, too. What kind of place are they running there? Sheesh.

After that, you need to buy your chicks as sexed pullets, not straight run. If you buy red sex links, it's almost foolproof to make sure you get females--only take red ones home, the yellow ones are boys. You can also order from almost any hatchery out there and you are guaranteed less than 10% males in a sexed female order, and my experience is that it's often much, much less than that. I can think of only one whoopsie-roo out of the literally hundreds of chicks I've ordered. I like Murray McMurray's quality, and Meyer's customer service, so those are the two hatcheries I tend to recommend.

Finally, you could skip the whole chick thing all together and buy started pullets at point of lay. Then you are assured that they are female, as you've seen them all grown up.

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What WoS said!

I think way more folks need to start holding TSC responsible for what they sell. I'm on these boards a lot (okay, way too much!) and from what I've seen I'd never ever buy chicks from them. So, so many misrepresentations, it's not even funny anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by