1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what breed my rooster is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AshtinNicci, Apr 17, 2017.

1. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida
    Hello everyone! So, for a while now, I've struggled to find exactly what breed my rooster is.

We got him from my grandfather after he was being picked on by the other rooster and he eventually grew pretty large once we took him home. He was docile at first, but then became pretty aggressive at some point after then hens matured. Now, he is a lot more timid than before, but is a lot more gentle with our last hen (the others, unfortunately, were stolen away by my neighbor's white leghorn roo)

[​IMG]

Here is Brutus (above).

[​IMG]

And here is Brutus and Porcia (she has chosen a really odd spot for her eggs for some reason. I plan to move them to her nesting box). As you can see from the damage to the side of the house, we have had a problem with them going under there, squeezing into the small spaces and making nests. Still not sure why.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. nickj5920

nickj5920 New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Looks mixed

3. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida

I was thinking that he may be mixed, but I wasn't too sure. My dad said he was an English Bantam, which I did research on and concluded that Brutus is definitely not an English Bantam.

4. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    Almost looks like a mix of Campine and New Hampshire. He's definitely a mix, though. What a magnificent bird! :clap
    ~Sarah

5. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida

Thanks! Brutus is quite the model in our neighborhood!

Now that it is being pointed out to me, and looking up the two breeds you named, he very well could be a mix between those two breeds. I am not sure where my grandfather got him from, but I believe the person was a breeder.

6. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    Well, the breeder obviously was trying to make a bird with a large body, but magnificent coloring. ;) Maybe that breeder specialized in crossbreeds- many do.

7. AshtinNicci

AshtinNicci Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Florida

Possibly.It drives me a bit crazy not knowing exactly what breed he is! Since he is most likely mixed, it makes me wonder if there are other people who have chickens just like Brutus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by