Not sure what breed these are. Please help.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tracerkid, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Tracerkid

Tracerkid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]I purchased these from tractor supply. This is my first time doing this. I asked for brown egg layers. Not sure what these yellow ones are but th little brownish ones are New Hampshire Reds. The yellow ones are HUGE in comparison to the brown ones. They were almost the same size just 5 days ago. If they are meat chickens and not egg layers I want to bring them back. If the yellow girls are egg layers I sure would like to keep them. They like me...LOL

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    They are likely some meat birds.Saying thay,likely Cornish or something.Also,the correct way to say Your red bird breed would be,New Hampshire,no red.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. Tracerkid

Mar 3, 2015
    Does that mean they won't lay eggs at all or just not produce well?

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Looks like you have some Cornish cross chicks. Cornish cross are poor layers, but they will lay if they live long enough. Because of their abnormally fast growth (ready for butchering at 8 weeks), they begin having all sorts of health problems at a very early age. Since you asked specifically for egg layers it were me personally, I would take them back to the tractor supply and ask them to either refund my money, or else exchange them for some chicks that are layers.

5. Laurissa

Laurissa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    North Dakota
    NY IDEA WHAT THESE MAY BE???
    [​IMG]
    This could be partridge rock, partridge penedesca, speckled sussex, or Swedish Flower Hen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This could be a cream legbar, Swedish Flower Hen, speckled sussex, or partridge penedesca, or partridge rock

[​IMG]
    This could be my Dominique.. MAYBE a Swedish Flower Hen

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. Tracerkid

Mar 3, 2015
    Thanks Michael. I will be returning them today. I called and they told me to bring them on in.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Wyandottes7's guesses.

9. Laurissa

Laurissa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    North Dakota
    Ok! Thank you for your input! I greatly appreciate it! I know when they're bigger I can tell for sure, but I really wanted to know while they're little, so I can watch them grow :-D

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I agree with Wyandotte7's guesses on the other chicks as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by