Not sure what breed these guys are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OneCrazyChickenLady, Sep 27, 2012.

1. OneCrazyChickenLady

OneCrazyChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Hello! These 2 little guys just appeared in the alley behind our house. We asked all of the neighbors if they knew anything about where they came from, and nobody knew so we took them in. I am not sure what breeds they are, and I was hoping you could help me. I am sure they are probably mixed breeds, but any info would be great. I thought the black one looked like a silkie?? Not sure if it is a male or female. The little red roo has been crowing. He sure is a cute little guy. They are both little, much smaller than my brahmas and buff orpingtons. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

The hen looks like a silkie, or silkie mix. The rooster looks like he has some cochin, without the feathered legs.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he does have slightly feathered legs

that is 110% silkie and looks to be either a poor quality cochin or a cochin mix

4. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Agree

5. OneCrazyChickenLady

Jan 29, 2011
    Thank you for your replies! They seem to like it much better here in our little flock than in the alley behind our house. lol [​IMG] The little rooster has been crowing away. So do you think the black silkie is a female?

6. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    looks like silkie is a female to me

7. OneCrazyChickenLady

Jan 29, 2011
    Yep, the silkie is definitely a female. She has been laying eggs and making a huge ruckus after each little tiny egg! [​IMG]

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    They look like a great addition to your flock!

9. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    The black one is a silkie and the other may be a new hampshire red or rhode island red[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by