Not sure what breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Autumnchickens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Autumnchickens

Autumnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG]

I brought my rooster home from school one day when the school didn't know what to do with him at the end of the year, his name it Fireheart, I do not know what breed he is and have been wondering since I got him, I asked the agriculture department but they don't know either, apperantly some kid dumped Fireheart there when they didn't want him any more. I've looked at other breeds but haven't quite found a match, I've been saying he's a Brown Leghorn, or maybe some sort of cross breed with it, but if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Does he have muffs? Hard to see in this pic, but it kinda looks like he does... if so, then I'd guess he might have Faverolles in his mix...

3. Autumnchickens

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These might help...

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I guess not then, lol... I don't think he's Leghorn, they have white earlobes... he kinda looks like a cross between buff and wheaten colors though, and good sized... maybe Buff Orpington cross??

5. Autumnchickens

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    Your right, he does look like a cross with a buff orpington, perhaps with a rhode island red... Thanks so much for helping me finally figure it out! Only took me a year lol.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by