Not Sure What Else To Do!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessica1982, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jessica1982

jessica1982 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    My 4 week old chicks just finished their dosage of Corid. I believe they had Coccidiosis. Even though they were vaccinated for it from the hatchery. One of my chicks who wasn't even showing symptoms when I dosed them is now lethargic. She's barely moved in days, she is eating and drinking and I have her separated from the rest of the girls and she got 4 days while they only had 3 days of Corid. I'm not sure what else I can do for her. I was told after 2 weeks to redose them then give vitamins. But what can I do for her to get her back on her feet? Her last dose ended yesterday,

2. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    [​IMG]

This is her little area inside the big pen

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't want to interfere with the advice Dawg53 just gave you, but why did you dose your chicks for only 3 or 4 days? How did you mix it? The dosage should be for 5 days, and it should be mixed 2 tsp of liquid Corid per gallon of water (or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon.) Make sure that they are getting some of the medicine (Sulfadimethoxine or Corid) into them since chicks with cocci will stop drinking unfortunately.

5. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Hi! Sorry about your sick chicks. I agree with the above 2 posts regarding treating the Coccidosis for a longer duration. Also, I always like to give my chicks vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics- as the antibiotics can be hard on them. Also, make sure they are still drinking- if not, you may actually have to use a medicine dropper to make sure they are getting the medicine and staying hydrated.

6. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    I only Saw either a dosage of 4 days on here, or on the chicken chick for only 3 days. And must of read 100 posts for correct dosage for 4 week old chicks. It was 9.6% liquid, so 2tsp per gallon, new solution each day. I have some electrolytes from the hatchery. She looks fine but is just laying around. Shes not thin, or looks sick until you see her walk.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Look, you shouldve started seeing SOME improvement by the third day after using corid and you obviously havnt. Not to mention your 4 week olds were previously vaccinated for coccidiosis....the corid isnt working most likely due to the prior vacinnations. That's why I recommended the sulfadimethoxine.
    Eggcessive is correct, corid is given for 5 days straight.

1 person likes this.
  8. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    Out of 26 chicks she is the only one who acts sick. And she wasn't showing any symptoms before the Corid. The chick I originally noticed was sick who I was told I'd lose and I should cull acts like nothing ever happened. I'll look to see if I can find that antibiotic, is that the same thing as terra vet 10?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by