Not sure what I am doing wrong!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewToFarming, Oct 24, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    My first hatch went fine. Partially under a broody and finished in my home made bater. The temps were all over the place & hard to control so I bought a still air little giant.
    I am currently on day 23 and nothing. I candled at day 19 and 6 eggs looked good with a few questionable. I even seen movement in the one egg. So far no pips at all and this would be my second set to not hatch since I got the little giant. The temps have been holding great in it. The humidity has been a challenge so I am constantly monitoring that. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I am devastated and am willing to try one more time but it is really getting depressing that I am apparently doing something wrong here. This is only my third attempt at incubating.
    How long should I wait yet for my eggs that are currently in the bator? We are on day 23 now.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Going 2 or 3 days more want hurt..

What humidity an temp have you been running?

3. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    The temps have been very consistent at 99.5 and did not fluctuate really at all. The humidity has been all over the place. I found the lowest humidity during the days 1-18 at 30% but have tried to keep it at the least 50% and have had it about 70 to 80% since day 19. I am having a hard time trying to keep the humidity at least somewhat steady.

4. rebelcowboysnb

If it was me I would try about 30% day 1-18 which may mean completely dry then about 70% the last 3 days. I think you may have much better results that way. I'm just guessing but I think your environment may be to humid for the standard incubation methods.

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks, I will wait another day or so on my current eggs and give that a try with my next batch. I don't have a whole lot of hope for these eggs though but give it another day or so.

6. rebelcowboysnb

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I learned a still air needs to run slightly hotter at the top of the eggs because it will be cooler at the bottom of the eggs, and cooler eggs take longer to hatch, I wouldn't give up hope yet

8. rebelcowboysnb

Yea, that's right. I didn't catch that. They should be late. A still air incubator is suppose to be 101 at the top of the eggs. Should hatch at 99.5 but a day or 3 late.

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I'm lol @ myself its so easy to tell someone else not to give up hope when I'm terrified my eggs wont hatch, always think I've done something wrong, 3 of my quail eggs pipped lastnight and they were peeping and now nothing I hope its just them having a rest, its been almost 12 hours since I saw the pips and they dont seem to be zipping, I don't think they drowned, I'm such a worry wart myself.

10. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

It is all a little confusing using the LG's. The instructions state that with their thermometer laid on top of the eggs the temp should read as marked on the thermometer(99.5) but seems I have read on BYC that is only if you are using a 'bator with a circulating fan kit. For a still air you would raise the temp to approx. 102. You may just have to experiment and see what works best for you. I have found that anywhere in that range between the two temps gives me about the same percentage hatch. Also if the LG was just purchased you might want to check the air holes on the bottom as one of mine had holes that were still partially plugged up from the factory. Air does need to circulate freely thru the 'bator for a successful hatch. Hope you get it all straightened out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by