1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what I have here...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CluckyInKY, May 29, 2016.

1. CluckyInKY

CluckyInKY Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    Utica, KY
    [​IMG]
    In the front is Cocoa, our smallest of 6. We bought them all from Rural King 4 weeks ago. Left middle is Dotsie. Right middle is Honey (I believe she was an Orpington) and in the back is CeCe, our fat girl. CeCe, Cocoa, and Dotsie all had chipmunk coloring in the beginning, but they all came from separate bins.
    [​IMG]
    Roxie in the front who I'm almost certain is a Barred Rock... And if I understand correctly, her darker color indicates that she is, indeed, female. The other black beauty is Raven, our second smallest of the bunch. I believe she is an Astrolorp. (And that's Dotsie again in the back)
    Any help with breed or gender would be greatly appreciated! I'm still new at this... But we sure do love them!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes, your barred rock appears to be a pullet, and the black girl appears to be an australorp.

I'm not sure what you have in the upper photo...the one you call your fat girl - look up "cornish chickens" and see if you think she's built like that - they are very stocky built birds. The little red one is most likely a new hampshire red or rhode island red, but I've not had either of those breeds, so am not sure.

I'm not sure on the other two...both single-combed??? No pea combs? Leg color?

3. CluckyInKY

May 29, 2016
    Utica, KY
    [​IMG]
    Another picture of my fat girl, CeCe. She has the traditional yellow feet... And all of the ones we have seem to be single combed.

4. CluckyInKY

May 29, 2016
    Utica, KY
    [​IMG]
    Another picture of Dotsie. Yellow legs & single comb. Any ideas on her? She's actually the main one I'm worried is a roo [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Dotsie and Cece look to be Dixie Rainbows or Pioneers, some type of slow broiler. I'm thinking Dotsie may be a cockerel, but this is still pretty young.

I think Cocoa is a Welsummer pullet. A better pic would help confirm.
    Honey is a production Red, or hatchery Rhode Island Red, something like that.
    Roxie is a barred Rock
    Raven looks like an Australorp.

6. CluckyInKY

May 29, 2016
    Utica, KY
    [​IMG]

A better pic of Cocoa

7. littlegreywolf

littlegreywolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Southwest Texas
    They all look to be pullets, except for one of the ones that looks like a broiler/meat chicken, thankfully. :) Looks like you have a Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red (first picture, chicken in the middle far right), 2 x Dark Cornish or some other type of meat bird (meat bird - top picture, bird in the back and bird in the middle to the left), you said the chicken in the top picture at the front was the smallest, maybe she's an Old English Game Bird or maybe a Welsummer. The two meat chickens look to be a rooster and a pullet. Everyone else looks like a pullet.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  8. CluckyInKY

May 29, 2016
    Utica, KY
    [​IMG]

Another group photo... Posting to show another angle of Dotsie, she's the one up front on the right side... Just seems like her comb is turning more pink than the others are.

9. CluckyInKY

May 29, 2016
    Utica, KY
    The buff Orpington was the only one that I actually saw her pull out of a bin (I know that doesn't necessarily mean that they were labeled correctly). CeCe, the fatty, is more red than the others and her tail feathers started developing much later than the others & is still significantly shorter. None of them have feathered feet, but I wish they did bc that's super cute! I'll be ordering my next round of chicks so I can be more selective of breeds. I was clueless about breeds when I got them, but I've learned a lot in the past 4 weeks. Love love love my Barred Rock. She comes when I call her & loves to cuddle. I will probably get more of that breed!

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You for sure DON'T have a buff orpington...lol. So the bin label was definitely wrong.

And yes - barred rocks are a favorite of mine too! I've had my girl for seven years, and from chick on, she's always been a friendly, personable, inquisitive girl [​IMG]

For future reference, my Easter Eggers are super friendly (all three will argue over a place on my lap if I sit down outside)...and their beards/muffs are so cute! Cochins might be for you too - they have the feathered feet you like, plus are supposed to be quite docile. I have a bantam cochin mix who is adorable and friendly. So that's two LF breeds you might consider in the future if you like friendly birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by