Not sure what I should do.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlerb14, Aug 13, 2013.

1. fowlerb14

fowlerb14 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Today is day 21 or 22 of incubation for my chicken eggs. I see no movement, there are no pips. As for as I can tell nothing is going on. I moved the eggs from my hova- bator with the turner and fan Friday to the little giant that's a still air for hatching. Temp has stayed constant at 99.5-100 Fahrenheit. Have I done anything wrong?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Make sure all the air holes are clear on top AND bottom. It needs to sit up on something to keep those holes unobstructed.
    The older they are the more the eggs need to breath.
    You may have done nothing wrong - about a thousand things can go wrong, none of which are your fault.

3. fowlerb14

Aug 12, 2013
    I just have it sitting on an old dresser. I will pick it up to allow more air flow. I don't know if any are going hatch. I am going home early today to check on them and add new thermometer and hydrometer to each incubator. I have never had any luck hatching. I tried some quail eggs once before and only one of them hatched and it was deformed and didn't survive. The quail eggs were shipped so I thought that had something to do with it.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Did you candle them when you move them to see if they were growing? I just read your post again. If you are only on day 21 I would wait another 2 or 3 days to check them. Sometimes your temp may go down and it may take them a litter longer.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. fowlerb14

Aug 12, 2013
    I did candle them. 1 of them I can only see the air sac, the others I could see embryos in but the weren't as large as that one. 1 of the eggs I can see fluid moving around the embryo. All of them have good air sacs.

7. fowlerb14

Aug 12, 2013
    I put the new thermometer and hydrometer in each incubator. The one with turner is reading 102 degrees and 57% humidity. Even though the one that came with it reads 100 degrees. This one has the quail eggs in it. The one I am using as a hatcher reads 100 degrees and 50% humidity. There is also an odor and one of the eggs is oozing.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    VERY CAREFULLY remove the oozing egg. Actually, I think you could remove all but the one where you can only see the air sac. At day 21, that's all you should be able to see. If you're not comfortable with that, then it's not going to hurt to leave them there for another 2 or 3 days, but if nothing happens by then, I'd get rid of them.

9. fowlerb14

Aug 12, 2013
    I just looked and the oozing egg is the one that I could only see the air sac in. I am going to remove them. Do you think the temperature in my incubator with the turner could be the problem?

10. fowlerb14

Aug 12, 2013
    I took all the eggs out and opened them. Three of the eggs looked like uncooked scrambled eggs inside the others had embryos that had not fully formed. I think the problem is with handling before I got them and temperature in the incubator with the turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by