Not sure what/if I'm doing something wrong here...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessicaroo, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jessicaroo

jessicaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    I am new to raising chickens. I got 7 chicks from McMurray 10 days ago (4 BO's, 2 Silkies, 1 CW, 1 BR) they have all done VERY well and are thriving! Yay! I ordered another shipment from McMurray that I received on Monday of 38 chicks (split the order with some friends) I have Light Brahmas, Speckled Sussex, Buff Rocks, Partridge Rocks, and Columbian Wyandotte). I lost the free rare exotic the first night (gold laced polish) and now I have a Partridge that I had to seperate b/c he's not doing well. Symptoms of both chicks were lethargy, not being able to stand for long, not wanting to eat. I have nursed them with a water dropper to get them to drink, made a mush for them to slurp of medicated starter crumbles and water. tried plain yogurt with crumbles. I've done ACV in their water just like I did with my first chicks. The other chicks don't seem as lively as the first batch. I don't want them all to die, any advice on something to try? I've checked heat temp, solid 95 under the lamp, varies to 80 on the sides, clean water, using purina medicated starter. I'm lost :( Is this just a bad batch of chicks? Am I doing something wrong? I'm feeling lost :-/ thanks for any help/suggestions/ideas!

2. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Thought i would add that poop in both chicks has been a clear liquid with milky white streaks in it..... No pasty butts in either chick.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    You seem like you are doing everything right. I think you may just have received a weaker batch of chicks this time.

4. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Thank you :) I hope that I won't lose more. The others seem to be ok.

5. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    You might boil an egg and mash up the egg yolk and add a little liquid and try feed that to the weak chicks.

6. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    T
    Thank you!

7. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    My chicks went crazy for the egg! Everyone seems to be perking up and doing well! Thanks for the tips :)

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That is great news!! Hope they continue to improve!!

9. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by