Not sure what is going on.....very worried!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gg706, Dec 8, 2012.

1. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a hen who is approx. 10 months old. She keeps squatting and attempting to poo but nothing is coming out. She has seperated herself from the flock today and seems to not be her normal self. She is following the flock around ranging today, but is keeping to herself. I caught her and looked at her bottom and she has some runny poo but nothing of real concern...looks fairly normal. Anyone know what is going on with her?

2. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    BTW I have not wormed them yet....could this be the problem? If so what do I give them and where do I get it?

3. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Could she be egg bound?

4. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    She and the other 2 Araucana hens have not really laid any eggs as of yet.....I think they might have laid twice (not sure which one) only because the egg was a bluish color and my Wyandottes lay very brown eggs. But they have not laid since and it has been a couple of months. So I have thought maybe the Wyandottes laid an off colored egg for some reason and the Araucanas were waiting until spring????? I do not have a light or anything in the coop, I was just letting them lay naturally. So as far as I know it could be her first egg if in fact she is trying to lay. I did think possibly she was trying to lay an egg...but she pecks around a little and then trys to poo...then stands there like she not feeling well...then trys to poo again and has been doing this all day. She isn't really attempting to nest and lay.

5. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Has anyone experienced this??? How did it turn out?

6. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
  7. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank You for the advice! I will try it today and see what happens. I appreciate the help. Thank You

8. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    I did a hen spa treatment. She actually seemed to enjoy it! However today she did not leave the roost with the others :(......She stayed in for quite some time. I checked on her about an hour ago and she smelled bad! She had diarrhea type waste stuck to her tail feathers. I cleaned her up and put her out in the yard with the others she is ranging now and preening herself but I do feel like there is something wrong. None of the others are having any problems. THANK GOD but ????? what is it? How would I check to see if she is egg bound?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When I suspect egg binding, I give my hens calcium and vitamin D, syringe in (no needle!) a couple of cc's of OB lube (KY Jelly) and put them in my bathroom full of steam. They also get to live inside until they pass their egg.

Read these:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-treat-egg-binding-in-chickens.html

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FWIW, I gave 500mg calcium and 1000 I.U. to an Old English bantam every other day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by