Not sure what is happening with my hen

elenarain

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Hi,

I have a small flock of RI Reds and Barred Rocks. They have all been really healthy until this morning. One of the RI was high-stepping, craning her neck and not interested in food..even the newly unearthed worms nearby! She almost acted drunk, dazed, a little out of it. We isolated her right away in a large dog crate with food and water. As we got her into the crate, she seemd a lot better..just twisting her neck around a bit and still the crazy high step walking..What should we do?

Thanks so much for your input!
Ellen

Domestic_goddess

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Utah
I think you did good by isolating her and I would keep an eye on her. I've never heard such a thing, maybe a vet would be able to help her! Good luck.

Bat Cave Silkies

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Bat Cave, NC
It almost sounds like "wobble neck"; does she bend her head forward and down between her legs? I've read something about the use of Selenium, but it has to be given right away, and I don't recall the dosage. Any of the others showing any symptoms?

elenarain

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Not forward so much but to the side..kind of swaying almost like a dance..she was also making a gurgling sound and when we picked her up to put her in the crate, she sneezed a string of phlegmy stuff..now she is quiet in the crate, not much movement at all..looks a bit dazed

elenarain

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
the other girls look just fine..we totally cleaned and disinfected water, feeders and the cop

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
I don't know what to say about the high stepping, but if she is snotty and has gurgly breathing, I would get her on some antibiotics and electrolites that you can put in her water.......

Best of luck with your hen.....keep us posted, OK?

Sharon

Top Bottom