not sure what is wrong with feet!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ourchickens, Jan 17, 2009.

1. ourchickens

ourchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    [​IMG]
    not sure what this in can anyone she is will be 3yrs old in May. we noticed that she was limping and has large swollen yellow areas around both feet.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Might be bumble foot.

Search for it using the search button at the top or google it.

My 14 year old son cured our White Rock.. (both feet) by regularly cutting out the scab on the bottom, applying triple antibiotic ointment after a good wash with warm water, then he would mix sugar with iodine put it over the wound with some gauze and use medical tape to wrap it up. To look at her now, you'd never know she had it.

Check for sharp objects where this chicken roosts.

We had some nails sticking out of some of our roost boards and put duct tape over them and that solved the problems.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Kind of looks like frostbite to me. Check out some of the recent frostbite threads for pics to see if they look like your chook's foot.

ETA - this person's chicken's feet look like your pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=119307 If you do a search type in frostebite AND toes to pull posts with both terms (capitalize "AND").

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Ouch!!! Did you get any help with the feet? It could be a few things. Hope it gets better.

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    you can check the bottom of the feet for sores or scabs as suggested above..

does this hen sit where there is a draft?
    looks like frostbite to me.

she needs some treatment on the feet..
    and antibiotic such as Pen-g procaine..or Baytril..

6. ourchickens

ourchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    thanks for helping but we had to put her down they just never got better with anything that we tried. she quit leaving her roost she wouldnt even walk to the food bowl

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear that it got so bad. [​IMG] to you & your family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by