1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not sure what is wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by intowin, Feb 5, 2015.

1. intowin

intowin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    I had a 4 month old wellsummer pullet shipped to me yesterday. She left the midwest on Monday and arrived Wed morning to Florida. I put her in her own coop. She seems to have a pale comb and can only stand about a minute at a time. I let her in her own run today and same thing. About a minute standing/foraging four mintues laying. When she is foraging she takes small short steps and is unstable on her feet. She is eating and drinking on her own. Any ideas what the problem is or what I can do?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Do you know any history on this bird? Any medical history on her? She could be sick in many ways. Do you know is she has been wormed recently?

I would give her an over all exam to see if you can detect anything. Look for signs of mites or other bugs, check for injuries, check for egg binding, (put on a latex glove with some KY-Jelly or Vaseline on the index finger and insert your finger into her vent. If she has a stuck egg you will feel it within the first inch or two) Look at her eyes...are the pupils round or are they irregular? (signs of Mareks) Look at the foot pads and scales to make sure they are all laying down and no heat or swelling or pokes to the pad of the foot. Check on the outside between her legs and belly toward the vent for bloatedness. Listen to her breathing for any rattles, eyes for clarity, nostrils should be dry.

If you can't find anything wrong with her I strongly recommend worming her. You might keep her confined and away from your flock in case she has something contagious. In the mean time, you might get her on some vitamins and electrolytes to help her regain strength from the shipping.

Good luck and I hope you can figure this out soon!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with Two Crows in that she could be ill, but shipping during February cold weather in a box for 2 or 3 days would be very stressful. No one knows what conditions she was exposed to on the way. Worms, mites, or other problems could cause pale color. Watch her for signs of coccidiosis (lethargy, diarrhea, poor appetite, standing around puffed up)when she gets on your soil. Giving vitamin/electrolyte water, a little egg with buttermilk for probiotics, would be good to give in addition her normal layer feed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried contacting the previous owner?

5. intowin

intowin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    yes, they said she left healthy. She was in a usps chicken bird box so I dont see how she would have been introduced to anything in travel. I am pretty sure it is just stressed related. Her poo seems fine and she eats and drinks. The concern is the pale comb and inability to stand or walk for more than a minute at a time.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Dehydration with do this. Make sure she is drinking well today. Stress if it is bad enough can kill a bird. She may just be suffering from a very stressful trip on the road.

I would keep her in very quiet area, maybe a bit dim too so she feels quieter. Get her hydrated with wet foods like watermelon or other melons. Sugary things. It is possible her blood sugar is out of whack. Maybe put a couple tablespoons of sugar in a quart waterer for the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by