not sure what kind of quail this is...

titika

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 21, 2013
I rescued a few coturnix from an over crowded pen. Some are white with patches, (A&M?), a few tibetan, rosetta, pharoah, italians, and one that looks kinda like a coturnix but with a pigeon head. It's a rusty red color and acts and looks a lot different then my coturnix. it stands more upright and it's body in general seems different. I am assuming it is a hen since my males keep breeding with it. i am thinking about seperating her and a roo and seeing if the eggs are fertile. I will try to post a picture. I am really just wondering what it is... A hybrid perhaps or just an odd coturnix. Any Ideas?

I rescued a few coturnix from an over crowded pen.  Some are white with patches, (A&M?), a few tibetan, rosetta, pharoah, italians, and one that looks kinda like a coturnix but with a pigeon head.  It's a rusty red color and acts and looks a lot different then my coturnix.  it stands more upright and it's body in general seems different.  I am assuming it is a hen since my males keep breeding with it.  i am thinking about seperating her and a roo and seeing if the eggs are fertile.  I will try to post a picture.  I am really just wondering what it is... A hybrid perhaps or just an odd coturnix.   Any Ideas?

It sounds like a Tennessee Red Quail which are basically a variation of the Bobwhite quail, they are also said to be more aggressive. Here's an image:

The head looks similar but the beak is different and the color is different. I'll try to get a good picture today.

She's pretty whatever kind she is. I've never seen one like this, not even pictures.

Back
Top Bottom