1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not sure what my chicken is sick with

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vals, Aug 4, 2014.

1. vals

vals New Egg

Apr 10, 2014
    My chicken (over 3 years old) has been ill for over a week. She still eats, drinks and poops, hasn't laid any eggs since this started. When I picked her up, a putrid darkish drool came out of her mouth. Each time I have picked her up, the same thing happens (quite a bit comes out each time). Her equilibrium seems off a little, and her tail feathers are drooped. Anyone know what could be up with her? Thanks in advance!

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I would search on "Sour Crop" and see if the symptoms match. Is her poop watery?

3. vals

vals New Egg

Apr 10, 2014
    I'll check that out, thanks. Yes, her poop has been watery, and definitely not as often as normal.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. vals

vals New Egg

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks for the info - I just read it, and I'm already seeing a bit of an improvement. Tomorrow I'll try giving her some yogurt and mashed potatoes - today she ate some white rice. : )

6. vals

vals New Egg

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks for the info - both sites were very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by