1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what my hen is

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brennacat, Aug 17, 2014.

1. brennacat

brennacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    I bought a young pullet that was supposed to be an Ameracuna (golden wheaten). She has started laying and is a consistent layer but .... her eggs are brown. She also does not have any tufts or muffs or beard. My EE has those but is not laying yet. Do you need a picture to identify her? If so I will attempt to get a picture later today.

As a side note does any one else have a speckled sussex that is a constant talker? She spends most of the day squawking like she is ready to lay.

2. chickenhound

chickenhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    pictures would help us out

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, a picture would help.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2
    There are such a thing as non-tufted/bearded EEs, so that could explain your hen's different appearance. And not all EEs lay blue/green/pink eggs; some lay brown. By definition, an EE is just an mixed breed, with some Ameraucana/Araucana in its background, that lays colored eggs.

5. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This is the hen I am asking about. I bought her from a breeder who indicated that she was an Americana.

The photo below is her with the EE I bought from Tractor Supply.

6. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Sacha is a character ... she thinks she is a hawk and loves to perch on my arm.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

LL purebred ameraucanas have a beard and muff. She is not an ameraucana or an EE.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, all Ameraucanas have a beard and muff. However, I disagree with your last statement. She does look like an Easter Egger to me, with that funky comb, greenish legs, and common EE coloring.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

10. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    Her legs are more blue than the EE's legs. I do like my hen but I am disappointed that a breeder would sell me something other than what he told me she was.
    The personalities are very different too.

My EE, Sacha, is quiet (rarely squawks) and curious. She is one of the overall friendliest chickens I have ever had. I think she truly believes she is a falcon or hawk and wants to ride around on my arm or shoulder.

Skye, the hen in question, rarely likes to be held. She constantly squawks now that she is laying. She is one of my more flighty hens.

I guess it is a good thing that I have these 2 hens and the roos on my other post more as my fun just for observing and laying chicks.

I have a blue splash marans hen that I need to find a male for and I have a brahma trio and 4 hens/1 roo Salmon Faverolle group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by