Not sure what this is...Could it be warts? Pics Included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buggal, Dec 25, 2016.

1. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    This is a silkie that is about 3 1/2 months old, we noticed these growths this morning on her beak and I really am not sure what it is or if it is bad or if it is nothing. Please help if you have seen this before and know what I need to do about it.
    Thanks
    Lisa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes in warm weather. Do you have any mosquitoes out right now?

3. buggal

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    No, No mosquitoes.
    She is in a brooder in the barn in a warm, dry area.

4. buggal

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    Is fowl pox contagious? Other birds? People?

5. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I've only read about fowl pox, never seen it in person, but it does look something like the pictures I've seen. From what I read it is contagious to other birds via the dander, scabs, etc. but not transmissible to people.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Fowl pox is mostly spread by mosquitoes, and it can spread from bird to bird, but not to people. Since you have not seen mosquitoes, it could be peck wounds that have become infected. Try lancing one or two and squeeze them to see if they have yellow cheesy pus inside. Then clean them with betadine or similar, and coat with plain neosporin. Also, consider ant bites as a possibility.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by