Not sure what to do about my baby rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JakRat, May 8, 2009.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I know I have posted before but I am really just baffled. My "little dude" has to weigh close to a pound now and he is only 3 weeks old!!! I am just worried that he is growing to fast (he cant walk to well and so he sits alot). He is getting really big really fast and I just wanted to make sure that he is ok. is feathers have not really come in yet either. Just a few on his wings. [​IMG]

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    what breed is it? cornish x? this breed is for meat, and grows very fast with little feathering

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like a meat bird to me.

4. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    My Dorking roo (2mths) does the same thing. The other boy(whyandotte) has a whole different personality. They are with 24 pullets. I know the roos develope feathers ect... later then the girls... But?????[​IMG]

5. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:Mine walks really good.

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Is he white? Sounds like a cornish. Does he have thick legs? I hope it isn't a meat birds, limit the amount of feed it gets and he should live longer than he would pigging out [​IMG]

7. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    oh goodness maybe he is! His legs are huge and he just kinda pigs out! I was thinking about seperating him for sure to limit his food, but they said that he was a golden commet... but his feathers are white!!! hmm I might have to take a word up with tractor supply. I had to be away for the weekend and I think he gained 1/2 a pound!!!! I hate to take him away from the ladies but I think that he might need to go on atkins.[​IMG]

8. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I just called tractor supply and they said that they did have some cornish rock, but she was not sure what mine would be since it was in the Golden Commet. SIGH not helpful at all there... as a rooster should he be on any special diet to keep him alive longer? Should I just send him to the pot?? Will he still try to mate with my hens if he is a meat big guy that is like a homer simpson couch potatoe?[​IMG] Should he get some exercise???[​IMG]

9. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Well... I went to TSC and they told me and another customer that the whole bin of cornishes were Ameraucanas, so I'm sure somehow they could have made a mistake.

I'd put him in the pot- I hear that the cornishes have health problems and aren't supposed to live long anyway. He'll taste good I'm sure- I have three that I'm growing right now.

10. Holly O

Holly O Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bergen Norway
    Quote:Too Cute .. gave me a good chuckle today!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by