Not sure what to do anymore

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KuroixKishi, Jul 7, 2016.

1. KuroixKishi

KuroixKishi New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Hi everyone! Just have a bit of a problem in my hands. I have a baby chick of about 3-4 weeks old and he's been acting strange lately. These are the symptoms:

-Gasping for air/yawning(?)
    -eyes mostly closed (has one eye open at times)
    -lethargic
    -not eating/drinking
    -head bobbiny up and down
    -sticky saliva (its clear in color) in the bottom of beak
    -head shaking (slings saliva everywhere)
    -some kind of gurgle/rattle

Been like this for almost a week now. Ive tried everything so far and nothing seems to work! Ive done a lot of research and it could be either gapeworms or pneumonia. But the symptoms sometimes are so alike, I get confused as to what I should treat it with. If anyone knows what it might be and how to cure it, please let me know. I will be eternally grateful.

2. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    What exactly have you tried? Vitamins always help. Poly Visol or Poultry Nutridrench are a must.

The head shaking and bobbing could mean wry neck. Does the chick have a crest (like a silkie or polish?)

3. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    wonder if he has food stuck in his throat....
    whats the temperature, do you have a warm and cool spot...
    how was he before this all started....?
    just all of a sudden...?
    or was he going down hill, little by little...?
    check for pasty butt...?

4. KuroixKishi

KuroixKishi New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Thanks for the replies! Okay at first I thought it was wry neck. He was twisting his head all the way back and sometimes even fell down! So I gave him some electrolytes (at first it was just gatorade with food mixed in) and he seemed fined afterwards. But later on he started to bob his head and stretch put his neck as long as he could, opening his mouth really wide. I used VetRX on him because I thought it could be a respiratory disease but today I started noticing these red strands in his feces. They looked red and they were really sticky! Even though the other parts were not. I tried separating the strand using water and my fingers but it broke too easily. Sometimes I see the red strands and sometimes I dont. Also, to the questions I didnt get to;

-no crests. (Maybe he does? But im kinda new to the whole poultry scene so I could be wrong)

-the temperatures range from 85 - 90. I always keep a cool side and ahot side in case they want to switch

-no pasty butt. Although hes all fluffy down there so sometimes he gets hardened bits of stool. But I always clean it up as soon as I see.

-yes it was a sudden thing. The day before he was running after me and running around like any other healthy chicken. But I do remember my dad asking me to take the cage/brooder outside then it started to rain so I I placed them out in the garage area

P.S I forgot to mention. I have two others in the brooder with him and they both seem pretty healthy to me.

P.P.S. I'm so sorry for the long sentences. I just want to.be as detailed as possible.

5. KuroixKishi

KuroixKishi New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    *cough* testing. Not sure if my reply went through (probably because it qas so long)

6. mustang56

Jan 4, 2012
    If it's blood in his poo....
    he probably has coccidiosis or however you spell that....
    you need to get some corrid...
    https://www.amazon.com/Merial-Corid...ie=UTF8&qid=1467979568&sr=8-2&keywords=corrid
    I don't remember the dosage...so will have to ask around....
    it eats the chicks....stomach or intestine lining....and if you don't treat him quickly he will probably die.
    the others with him may also have cocci ....
    take a picture of the poo and post it here.....

7. mustang56

Jan 4, 2012
    Liquid corid is 2 tsp per gallon of water, corid powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.

8. KuroixKishi

KuroixKishi New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    It cant be coccidossis (or however its spelled heh) I give them medicated feed to treat that sort of thing. I found yet another worm in one of my other chicks feces today. It was slim and red/orange and very sticky. Lets say it IS some kind of parasite, whats the best way to make it go away?

Ive been giving mine all sorts of things. Plain yogurt, cruahed garlic cloves and apple cider vinhar too!

9. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    really I didn't know that u can give chickens garlic [​IMG]

10. KuroixKishi

KuroixKishi New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Oh yeah! You can to help their intestinal tract (I think) and other stuff that are good for them. But, unfortunately for me my baby just passed away about 15 minutes ago....good thing im home alone haha...ha....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by